Popular Posts

Friday, December 3, 2010

Late 1950s in the U.S. -- The Rise of Interest in Sports Cars -- Bill Grauer and Riverside Records





Hi folks -- for some time now I have been reading late 1950s issues of Sports Cars Illustrated in my spare time. There is much to recommend in this periodical, the precursor to Car and Driver. Terrific technical articles abound, including those written by Roger Huntington and Karl Ludwigsen. I am always fascinated with the ads, including those from M.G. Mitten, Vilhelm B. Haan, and AMCO. lately I have been struck with the sheer number of record releases related to sports cars in HiFi and Stereo done by Riverside Records an Bill Grauer. Interestingly, my favorite reord as a teenager in the 1960s was not "Rubber Soul" by the Beatles, but "Vintage Sports Cars in Hi-Fi," that included commentary by David Scott-Moncrieff! Of course, Riverside is known to this day for its great cuts of classic Jazz form the 1950s -- but what do folks know about the recording of races at Sebring, Lemans, and the many other releases that were done during he late 1950s and early 1960s. I have a Dragster release that I picked up at a goodwill a few years ago, but am interested in finding many more of these records and critically listening to them. If you have similar interests, please contact me.
John


No comments:

Post a Comment