Popular Posts

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

First day back in California -- an excellent adventure driving on I-5 and the Chula Vista Pick and Pull

Hi folks -- well, I got off the plane at 2:30 p.m. and after getting my VW Jetta rental car headed straight for the pick and pull.
First observation -- driving on I-5 and I-805 is not for the faint of heart.  This is not like driving the I-675 near Dayton.  The speed, number of cars all around changing lanes constantly, the unfamiliarity with the exits and right lane "exit onlys" were formidable challenges, especially the first half hour or so.  It also doesn't help that the VW has so much complex electronics that getting used to that was also difficult.

Finally about 4 p.m. I got to the Pick and Pull on Energy Way.  Lots of Mercedes there, but the bone pickers had got to the cars long  before I got there and so I did not find an instrument cluster.  There was one SL, and the way the pickers treated it was a travesty. This once proud motor car was a hulk, with a door gone, trunk lid and hood off, engine in pieces (it was a single chain 380 and the chain was off its cogs, perhaps why it was there in the first place. So much was gone on the dash that it made it easy for me to remove the cruise control amplifier, a part I was looking for.  I also got a passenger door lock actuator, with no guarantee that it will work (Probably it will not!). What a sad car, however. Our disposable society is  sorry ass concerning the way we treat fine things like this car at times.

Going back to solana Beach in the evning I stopped at In and Out for dinner, and had a fun time watching a scorching hot orange BMW 2002 fly by me on I-5, along with a very nice M-B 560 SL with the hardtop on.

More on this adventure soon, as now it is on to the beach!

No comments:

Post a Comment