Popular Posts

Friday, November 29, 2013

Black Friday (actually Thursday) at the Chula Vista CA Pick and Pull

Hi folks -- an amazing experience yesterday.  As some of you know, I like to go to Pick and Pull junk yards to sift through the Mercedes cars for parts I rarely need. I like to sit in the 380s and figure out where all the hidden parts are configured, since by the time I get there usually much of the dash is removed and thus I can see vacuum servos, relays, etc. and how they are positioned.

OK, so Thursday morning to Saturday this week was 50% off at Ecology in Chula Vista. My son-in-law Tony and I got there Thanksgiving morning at 7:45 a.m. and there was already a long line and they were letting people in.  It just got crazier as time went on, and by the time we left at 10 a.m. there were hundreds upon hundreds of folks milling and pulling parts. For a time son-in-law Tony and I were the only Anglos in the yard where for the most part Spanish only was spoken.

It was insane -- actually a Mexican acted insane so that he could try to jump the line -- addled and oblivious to anyone. Nice guy, just crazy and not dangerous.  There were thieves amongst us, so paranoia reigned concerning keeping a close watch on tools and pulled parts.

This was a once in a lifetime experience -- I came home with 5 Mercedes 15 inch alloy wheels, each for $14.49!  But then you add in the core charge for each ($5), dismounting tires ($3), and it all adds up.  For junk!  The wheels may work out, but I am not totally sure for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment