Popular Posts

Friday, April 28, 2017

A Drive Into the Past: Riding in Andy Beckman's 1964 Studebaker Lark Daytona

Left to right -- owner Andy Beckman, Don Capps, and Ed Garden. The Lark design resembles  a Chrysler Valiant in terms of grille and roof profile.

Note the cool Studebaker inscription on the rear of the trunk!

In my opinion, clean lines and a great Glasspak sound. Note Gilmore Automobile Museum Heritage Center  in the background.



So I had a real treat this morning as I got a front seat ride to the Gilmore Museum in Hickory Corners, MI in Andy Beckman's 1964 Studebaker Lark Daytona. Its color is Bordeaux, powered by a 289 V-8, and with a Ford 5-Speed from a 1993 Mustang GT.  It also has a Hurst shifter.  Andy has done much of the work on this car himself, and its solid and assured ride is a testimony to his abilities as a mechanic.

When you ride in this car it feels like a car should be. It reminded me of cars that I experienced when I was much younger.  The sounds, vibrations, road feel, seat position (rather high) and visibility is not like anything you experience when in a Toyota or Honda. Whether you like it or not, you are a part of the human-machine relationship, and know it.  Thanks, Andy, for a 30-minute experience that took me back to when I was in high school!







No comments:

Post a Comment