Popular Posts

Monday, November 13, 2017

Automobile vs. Road & Track: Which one the Best Magazine for Me?

Ever since Hemmings Sports and Exotic ceased publication I have been adrift in terms of reading car magazines. What added insult to injury, Hemmings did not refund the remainder of my subscription, but instead without asking me sent me their Classic Car.  There were very few articles or pages in interest in the latter magazine, and so did not renew that periodical. If I want to look at it, I'll go to the local library.
Two and a half weeks ago I had a full knee replacement and thus have been grounded ever since. Lsat Saturday my friend cuff visited and brought me a few recent mags, including the December 2917 Automobile and the October and November R&T.  Back in the day I cut my teeth on Road & Track, and considered my favorite magazine by far.  Sad to say, current issues do little to excite me. I was terribly disappointed with the October issue.  The lead article entitled "Great Escape: Conquering the Alps in the AMG GT and 911 GTS" had a great topic but drove it in the ground by transforming the potentially wonderful driving experience into a dull and at times infantile narrative. The point of the fantastic environment was largely missed and trivialized -- the prose was simply not up to snuff given what could have been said.  Taking tow exotic vehicles that are rally beyond 95% of the readers detaches the whole story from a reality that most of us can never experience.  People are simply not in this article in any meaningful way. Great choice of focussed topic, but the mark was missed.

The R&T also covered the Nurburgring, and here the journalism was better.  But the topic has been written up numerous times over the past few years. Ok, it is hard to find the get. But the current website is quite helpful, and the track is really trying to welcome visitors.  Finally, the historical context about this magical site was weak.

So I put down R&T and wondered if I would ever care to pick it up again.  In contrast,  the December 2017 Automobile was a pleasure to read. On article was in particular negating, namely the Dodge Truck trip along the border between the U.S. and Mexico. The environmental descriptions were excellent, and personal side stories -- especially the vignette of the crazy old man near Brownsville was both funny and currently relevant. What a super read!  I also very much liked the auction summaries placed narthex end of the magazine. That has been a featured this magazine for some time, but now especially missed sine Sports & Exotic is no more.

Everyone has their own personal reading preferences, and thus I have given you one example of mine.  Your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment